Start your natural healing journey here.
What is homeopathy and how does it work?
Homeopathy is a medical philosophy and practice based on the idea that the body has the ability to heal itself.
Homeopathic medicine views symptoms of illness as normal responses of the body as it attempts to regain health, and is based on the idea that "like cures like." That is, if a substance causes a symptom in a healthy person, giving the person a very small amount of the same substance may cure the illness. A homeopathic dose enhances the body's normal healing and self-regulatory processes (a process known as hormesis).
Your homeopath will use pills or liquid mixtures (solutions) containing only a little of an active ingredient (usually a plant or mineral) for treatment of disease. These are known as highly diluted or "potentiated" substances. There is evidence to show that homeopathic medicines have helpful effects.
Homeopathy was founded in the late 1700s in Germany and has since been integrated into the national health care systems of other countries including the United Kingdom, Scotland, India, France, Cuba, Tanzania, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, and Mexico.
When would I see a homeopath?
People often come to us because they:
- are experiencing a major health crisis and want to explore their treatment options;
- are tired of always being sick or in pain;
- are overwhelmed by the variety health products and want a professional to make sense of it all and prioritize;
- want a comprehensive disease prevention program;
- want to address all their concerns together and for the long-term instead of one at a time;
- choose to have a homeopath for their family's holistic health care.
Why should I consider homeopathy?
- Homeopathy is safe.
- Although many homeopathic medicines are prepared from plants and other substances which are poisonous in their crude form, the processing renders them completely non-toxic to be made into homeopathic remedies.
- They can be given safely to breast-feeding mothers as well as to children.
- Homeopathic remedies work by stimulating the body’s own healing mechanisms.
- Holistic approaches are needed to promote and maintain a more comprehensive well-being.
- A homeopathic perspective really helps to make sense of not only our illnesses but the health and development of ourselves and children.
What can I expect from homeopathy?
Homeopathic medicines are designed to stimulate your body's natural ability to heal itself - to act as a catalyst for healing. Overall, you can expect to see a lessening of the frequency and intensity of your chief complaint and everything else that might have come along with it. Homeopathy is like a “two-for-one” or even a "ten-for-one” deal because we are never treating only one health concern at a time, but instead treating the more deeply holistic you or WHOLE you all at once.
What are the benefits of a natural approach to healing?
The process of healing varies from person to person depending on how ill you are, or on your levels of vitality. In the days/weeks after taking the homeopathic remedy you may find that you feel better in yourself - you experience an increase in energy and/or your complaints improve gradually or may even clear up completely.
With an acute or recent illness your improvement may be quite swift. Or it can be a more gradual process, especially if you have been suffering from a long term, or chronic complex illness.
Some people experience a slight worsening, or aggravation after their treatment (healing crisis). This usually occurs within the first day or two of starting a remedy and is a good sign. Aggravations mostly do not last long (part of a day or two), are manageable and are accompanied by an increased sense of well being.
You may experience a "return of old symptoms", in other words symptoms that you experienced in the past may resurface, and these too, are a good sign. They indicate that your body is clearing out an old disease pattern and are generally short-lived. This is always a good opportunity to ask yourself whether your symptoms are familiar, whether they remind you of something you have experienced in the past.
Health problems are symptoms of imbalance - a warning sign from your own body that it is not functioning as well as it could. The earlier you address a health concern, the easier it is to resolve.
How is homeopathy different from naturopathy?
Homeopathy is a specialized ancient form of natural medicine. Seeing a naturopath is like seeing a GP (general practitioner) of natural medicine. Homeopaths are specialized in homeopathy and therefore will give homeopathic remedies using the whole homeopathic system of medicine, not in an allopathic manner. Naturopaths (and anyone who buys homeopathic remedies at their local health food store) can choose remedies using an allopathic philosophy. However, homeopaths can use remedies incorporating the holistic principles of homeopathic healing learned in their four years of minimum training. You can read more in depth about some of these principles on our blog.
What conditions can homeopathy help me with?
Everyone is unique and we treat everyone differently according to their needs. The types of health concerns that are more easily addressed with homeopathy at our Centre include (but are not limited to):
- Menstrual irregularities/PMS
- Uterine fibroids
- Ovarian cysts
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Fertility issues
- Postpartum depression
- Low libido
- Strep B during late pregnancy
- Nursing difficulties/Mastitis
- Teething pains
- Night terrors
Skin & Stomach (Organs - Inside & Out)
- Substance Misuse
- Weight gain, obesity
- Allergies (food and environmental)
- Hormone imbalances
- Lyme Disease
- Digestive concerns
Immune & Infections (Acute or Chronic)
- Sinus Infections
- Toxic Effects (food poisoning, salmonella, norovirus)
- MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus)
- Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)
- Clostridium Difficile
- Autism Expression
Can I use homeopathy with my other medications?
Yes. A homeopath cannot and will not ask you to change the medications that your MD has asked you to take. Those decisions are yours to discuss with those who have recommended them to you.
What should I do if I have a medical emergency?
If your symptoms are serious you will need to consult an emergency responder even though it may be possible to treat your complaint homeopathically - our Centre is not set up to respond to urgent health needs like 911 or your local hospital.