Salicylates and homoeopathy in rheumatoid arthritis: preliminary observations.
This paper reports the results of a pilot study in which 41 patients with rheumatoid arthritis were treated with high doses of salicylate, 3.9 g per day, and the results compared with a further 54 similar patients treated with homoeopathy. Both groups were compared with 100 patients who received placebo. 2 The patients who received homoeopathy did better than those who received salicylate. The design of the trial was such, however, that it was not possible to distinguish between the effects due to the physicians and the effects due to the drugs and a further trial is planned to elucidate this point. 3 Patients on homoeopathic treatment did not experience toxic effects.
Full text is available as a scanned copy of the original print version. Get a printable copy (PDF file) of the complete article (682K), or click on a page image below to browse page by page. Links to PubMed are also available for Selected References.
These references are in PubMed. This may not be the complete list of references from this article.
- Brooks PM, Stephens WH, Jr, Stephens ME, Buchanan WW. How safe are anti-rheumatic drugs? A study of possible iatrogenic deaths in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Health Bull (Edinb) 1975 May;33(3):108–111. [PubMed]
- Girdwood RH. Death after taking medicaments. Br Med J. 1974 Mar 16;1(5906):501–504. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
- Huskisson EC. Measurement of pain. Lancet. 1974 Nov 9;2(7889):1127–1131. [PubMed]
- Lee P, Baxter A, Dick WC, Webb J. An assessment of grip strength measurement in rheumatoid arthritis. Scand J Rheumatol. 1974;3(1):17–23. [PubMed]
- Lee P, Anderson JA, Miller J, Webb J, Buchanan WW. Evaluation of analgesic action and efficacy of antirheumatic drugs. Study of 10 drugs in 684 patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol. 1976 Sep;3(3):283–294. [PubMed]
- MANN LB, WEBER AB. Control of post-pneumoencephalographic headaches with EC 112; a preliminary review. Bull Los Angel Neuro Soc. 1953 Mar;18(1):52–54. [PubMed]
- Ritchie DM, Boyle JA, McInnes JM, Jasani MK, Dalakos TG, Grieveson P, Buchanan WW. Clinical studies with an articular index for the assessment of joint tenderness in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Q J Med. 1968 Jul;37(147):393–406. [PubMed]
- ROPES MW, BENNETT GA, COBB S, JACOX R, JESSAR RA. 1958 Revision of diagnostic criteria for rheumatoid arthritis. Bull Rheum Dis. 1958 Dec;9(4):175–176. [PubMed]
- Scott J, Huskisson EC. Graphic representation of pain. Pain. 1976 Jun;2(2):175–184. [PubMed]
- TRINDER P. Rapid determination of salicylate in biological fluids. Biochem J. 1954 Jun;57(2):301–303. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
- Webb J, Downie WW, Dick WC, Lee P. Evaluation of digital joint circumference measurements in rheumatoid arthritis. Scand J Rheumatol. 1973;2(3):127–131. [PubMed]